Sunday, August 29, 2010

IMM (8/29/10)

You know those famines for good books?  Every book you read is just kind of "blech"?

This week was NOT one of those weeks!  Fantastic books every time I picked one up.

First, I finished "Breaking Night" by Liz Murray.  Really amazing.
Then there was "Girl, Stolen" by April Henry.  Pretty good for the age group.
Then I was completely swept up in "Mockingjay"
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)In case you haven't caught on, I LOVED it!  I had absolutely no idea what would happen on the next page.  The imagination for torture, love, war, murder is incredible. The ending was appropriately anti-climactic. A lot like life.  I mean the ending, ending.  The ending of the Capitol's reign is NOT anti-climactic.  Suzanne Collins is brilliant.

So then I had refresh my memory by re-reading "Catching Fire."
Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)And now I want to read "Mockingjay" again.  But I didn't.  I was obsessing and I knew it.

And so I made myself refocus on a completely different genre.
Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal"Little Princes" is currently in ARC form and I took it with me to church today.  I was paying attention during Sunday School.  Really, I was.  I'm still working on it but think of John Krakauer and the work he did with the Lost Boys in southern Utah except replace southern Utah boys with Nepalese orphans.  Or "Three Cups of Tea" only with hilarious anecdotes and dialogue and a little bit of romance.  This author is a fantastic story teller, precisely describing the political unrest in Nepal with a wonderful sense of humor.  I'm still laughing about the Jablo.

This week I am going to finish Little Princes.  I will also read
Deception (Haunting Emma)
and probably
Everything Hurts: A Novel
.
Maybe I will read "Mockingjay" again.  But that just might be too weird.

10 comments:

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

nah, read Mockingjay again...we're all doing it!
Deception is really good! and I so want to read Girl, Stolen!

Unknown said...

I've been feeling a bit left out all week, I didn't get Mockingjay... I haven't even read Hunger Games yet lol.

Jan von Harz said...

Oh I so want to read Deception, hope you enjoy it and have a terrific week.

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i Love the hunger games series - Katniss rocks

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Don't you just love weeks like that? Hope this week will be close if not just as good :)

mpartyka said...

I agree with you... I had a great reading week last week too - completely satisfied.

Will be adding Little Princes to my list.

torture, love, war, murder.... this is enough to make me run in the opposite direction! I don't have the best imagination though (this is my issue! Glad you loved Mockingjay).

Have a great week!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Nice mailbox. I still haven't read the Hunger Games and everyone else is excited over Mockingjay!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Little Princes sounds good - I am excited to read your review of that one. Glad you liked Mockingjay, it actually has been fun reading the different thought son the books.... love it or not, the discussion is fantastic!

CountessLaurie said...

I felt the need to re-read Catching Fire too... I may start with Hunger Games though. It was such a disturbing premise that I was mad that my sister had me read it. but I am glad I saw the trilogy through to the end.

Mary Grace said...

I was so lame last week that I only read 1 book because of work. :) this week I need to improve! Haha. Anyway, I also need to buy me the hunger series since I heard a lot of good thing about it. Newest follower.