Monday, December 13, 2010

Vixen by Jillian Larkin Review

Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination.

Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they?

Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .

Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . .

From debut author Jillian Larkin, VIXEN is the first novel in the sexy, dangerous, and ridiculously romantic new series set in the Roaring Twenties . . . when anything goes.

My Take:  I liked the concept of this book; the changing from Victorian to Flapper era. Three girls are introduced in this book; Clara, Gloria and Lorraine. Clara has a secret past and has been sent to assist with Gloria's trip to the alter. Gloria, is a pampered rich girl who decides to sow her wild oats before beginning her marriage of convenience. Lorraine is Gloria's best friend.

Each character is introduced to the underground world of Chicago's forbidden clubs that include the prohibited alcoholic beverage, colored bands, and the mob. Each character responds differently. The story line is cleanly addressed and there is a clear ending with the option of subsequent books to follow the paths of these girls.

My problem was character development. I just didn't ever get to a point that I really liked any of the characters. I felt like I knew Clara better than the others, but I ended the book not really caring about any of them a whole lot.

The Flapper lingo is new but not distracting. I didn't really understand the significance of becoming Flapper except foregoing the standard Victorian norm. I think I would have felt like the story was more cohesive if I understood the significance of becoming a Flapper which might explain the decisions that each girl makes in response.

Still, this is the first book in a series. I would still be interested to see where the story continues and I want to know the characters better. 

 
PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments: