Monday, June 27, 2011

Along a Long Road by Frank Viva

Along a Long RoadAlong a Long Road by Frank Viva

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Goodreads: Follow that road!

Speed off on an eventful bicycle ride along the bold yellow road that cuts through town, by the sea, and through the country. Ride up and around, along and through, out and down.

Frank's striking graphic style is executed in just five joyous colors, and his spare, rhythmic language is infectious.

Hit a bump?
Get back on track!
Reach the end?
Start again!

My take: I read this book to my 6 year old son, just out of kindergarten then he was able to read it to me with very little prodding. The author uses many sight words and repetition. The illustrations are simple and concise which does not overwhelm the early reader. I loved having a book with fun pictures, an interesting route, and a story my son had immediate success with reading.

No comments: