Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Bully Book by Eric Kahn Gale

The Bully BookThe Bully Book by Eric Kahn Gale
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

I will be recommending this book to the English department at the school where I work, as well as the media center. Loosely based on the author's experiences, the book dissects picking a target, keeping him submissive, but gives the story through the point of view of the Grunt, the victim. It's a more standardized approach to how bullying works and it is excellent, clear, concise, and accurate.

There is one area I thought could have been expounded upon. Eric concludes that the bullies grow up and move on with their lives without the damage the victim has suffered. In fact, Eric finds a former bully all grown up, and simply oblivious to the carnage he left behind. I think that is accurately portrayed. On the other hand, bullies don't quit being bullies just because they grew up. Often they continue into adulthood and terrorize their workplace.

This book is the most accurate portrayal of the different faces of bullying and I liked it much more than the other books with the proverbial suicide or homocidal rampage through a school for shock value. I believe this is the book that kids and adults will most relate with.

No comments: