Thursday, July 24, 2014

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little LiesBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very well written and timed but not my favorite Liane Moriarty book. That said, she still sets the bar very high and I still love her books.

This novel centers around three main women, their spouses or previous interests, and the politics of Kindergarten, at least the parental politics. The real drama takes place outside the classroom and at home but I'm getting ahead of myself. Each chapter contains quotes from a parent or two from the party where they served alcohol (a clear violation of a drug free zone, by the way - but this is Australia) and possibly there was a death. There seems to talk of a huge brawl, too.

Like previous books by Moriarty, the answer to who possibly died and how is comprised of a complicated web of events and perceptions. The crux of the books is a microcosm of the violence of even polite society carried out in its many forms. What is bullying and who is to blame? Thought provoking but a little too socially conscious for my shallow mind. My weakness, not the author's. It's summer. All I want to do is frolic.

1 comment:

Harvee said...

Sounds like a book to keep for fall reading. Hope to find a copy somewhere by then!
Harvee
Book Dilettante