Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Six Weeks to Live by Catherine McKenzie

Six Weeks to Live: A NovelSix Weeks to Live: A Novel by Catherine McKenzie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So I would read Catherine McKenzie's shopping list although it probably wouldn't have an interesting storyline. I just love the way this author develops her characters and intertwines subplots. This one is a little darker than her previous books but contains the common theme of exploring relationships. As the blurb on the book explains, Jennifer finds she has 6-8 weeks to live due to an aggressive cancer in the brain. The book explores the complexity of relationships between Jennifer, her cheating husband, Jake, and each of her triplets which is incredibly intriguing. Jennifer also believes that her cancer was caused by purposeful lead poisoning which adds an air of mystery.

I loved the way each relationship is so well explored and the voices stay true throughout the book. There is definitely growth in some of the characters but, like real life, all are flawed and self-protecting. I personally felt a little raw and exposed as some of the relationships were laid bare and mimicked my own life.

This would be a great Book Club book.

*This book was provided to me by the publisher for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments: