Friday, August 27, 2010

The Glamour of Grammar

The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English


From the book jacket: Early in the history of English, glamour and grammar were the same word, linked to enchantment and magical spells. Now grammar brings to mind language bullies and bored-out-of-their-skulls students. Roy Peter Clark, one of America's most influential writing teachers, wants to change that by putting the glamour back into grammar. Whether you are composing a novel, a memo, an e-mail, or a blog post, you can immediately apply any of the lessons Clark lays out in fifty short chapters. The Glamour of Grammar prepares you to captivate with every word.

My take: This book includes 50 short chapters covering different aspects of words, points (punctuation), standards, meaning (keeping tenses, when to use fragments) and purpose (being unconventional). Well written book and excellent resource for the aspiring writer HOWEVER, be aware of profanity use. Children ought to use other resources for their writing development. In fact, if the author had kept it cleaner, I would suggest it be used in creative writing courses in jr. and sr. high schools.

Excellent book.  I just wanted to warn you.

3 comments:

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

I'm some kind of nerd because I'm so psyched about this book and need to own it.

Amy // backseatwriter.com

Riahli said...

Ah...this I need. :)

CountessLaurie said...

Ha. If I ever write my great american novel, I am gonna need a heck of an editor to fix my glamourous mistakes :-)