Saturday, August 7, 2010

Healer by Linda Windsor Book Review

Healer: A Novel (The Brides of Alba Series)

Sixth-century Scotland—in the time of Arthur….
 
“The Gowrys’ seed shall divide your mighty house and bring a peace beyond the ken of your wicked soul.”
 
Her mother’s dying prophecy to the chieftain Tarlach O’Byrne sentenced Brenna of Gowrys to twenty years of hiding. Twenty years of being hunted—by the O’Byrnes, who fear the prophecy, and by her kinsmen, who expect her to lead them against their oppressors. But Brenna is a trained and gifted healer, not a warrior queen. So she lives alone in the wilderness with only her pet wolf for company. When she rescues a man badly wounded from an ambush, she believes he may be the answer to her deep loneliness. Healing him comes as easy as loving him. But can their love overcome years of bitterness and greed…and bring peace and renewed faith to the shattered kingdom?

This book introduced me to a time period I am nearly completely ignorant about.  Sixth century Scotland is a time of King Arthur (not necessarily a single person but an appointment) and battles between clans, cousins, Celts, Romans, and Christians.  Interestingly, the Briton Christianity is different from Roman Christianity.  British Christianity was allegedly Christ's true church, traveling from Joseph of Aramathea and the apostles. This is why Brenna, the protagonist, is so special.  She is a combination of the sacred blood from those prominent Christians in Christ's time.

Brenna possesses gifts of the earth, often seen as witchcraft, yet she gives all praise to God from whence her gifts come.  This is a difficulty to overcome, however, as Tarlach believes her to be from evil.  Really, he doesn't.  He simply wanted her mother who chose his cousin.  Really ticked him off.

Interesting book.  Linda Windsor is a gifted writer.  The research for this book is extensive.  I liked it but I struggled with it because of the historical portion that I didn't know very much about.  Not a bad thing, however, I learned quite a bit and the story pulled me along very well.

3 and half stars.

2 comments:

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

Good review. Some days I want to go live in the woods with my shih tzu...but that's only because the world gets on my nerves...some days.

CountessLaurie said...

Sounds like something I would enjoy as long as the history lesson didn't drag me down. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the review.