Monday, June 20, 2011

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Silver GirlSilver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads: Meredith Martin Delinn just lost everything: her friends, her homes, her social standing - because her husband Freddy cheated rich investors out of billions of dollars.

Desperate and facing homelessness, Meredith receives a call from her old best friend, Constance Flute. Connie's had recent worries of her own, and the two depart for a summer on Nantucket in an attempt to heal. But the island can't offer complete escape, and they're plagued by new and old troubles alike. When Connie's brother Toby - Meredith's high school boyfriend - arrives, Meredith must reconcile the differences between the life she is leading and the life she could have had.

Set against the backdrop of a Nantucket summer, Elin Hilderbrand delivers a suspenseful story of the power of friendship, the pull of love, and the beauty of forgiveness.

My take: So Meredith's husband did a fantastic Ponzi Scheme and mucked up all of her friendships. Everybody hates her and believes she was complicit. Not only that, she is under investigation as is her son, Leo. Hubby Freddy is choosing to be mute in prison. Meredith can have no contact with her sons and her husband is choosing to not talk. At all.

Connie lost her husband two and half years ago to cancer. At the time, her daughter, Ashlyn wrote herself out of Connie's life. Connie is heartbroken and lonely. Connie and Meredith also burned bridges earlier due to Freddy's finances.

What I loved about this book was the ironic juxtapositions and contrasts. Meredith and Connie are the oldest of friends who find themselves isolated due to life events and run to each other even though they have hurt feelings. Both women have lost their husbands but in different ways. Both women are cut off from their children but in different ways. Both women are terrified to trust again but find they are able to trust one another and a love interest.

I find myself drawn to the middle age woman. It frightens me. I wonder if it is because I am becoming... No, never mind. I won't go there. The protagonists are strong but weakened women. They have been knocked around by life and death and children and friends but dig deep within themselves and find the strength they always had. This is what I love about the middle age protagonist. That and the importance on the old, tried and true friend.

And I loved the ending. Cheat and you miss the irony. Love Toby. Love Connie. Love Meredith. Love Dev.

Solid 4.5 stars.

1 comment:

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have this in my tbr stack and am looking forward to reading it. I like how it deals with a Ponzi Scheme. I can only imagine how that could wreak havoc in one's life!