Monday, May 2, 2011

Hunchback of Neiman Marcus Review

Sonya Sones frightens me.

She says what I am thinking which makes me woder if she has been visitig my head. She is covering all those quirky and not-so-enjoyable moments of being middle age. What she missed however, is that the jutting chin and hunched back provide hours of pain in the thoracic area. Besides this omission, she hits everything on the mark.

Not that I would know, of course. The ends of producing fruit of my womb was a personal and medical choice. Yeah. That's it. That's my story and I'm holding to it.

But in all seriousness, the poetry and play with words on the page to simulate waiting or providing a different design spoke volumes. Along with the blessings of becoming middle age - and she is brutally honest which only endeared me further. Most women in this age enjoy denial. Not that I would know anything about that - she writes about being in the "sandwhich" stage; caring for an elderly parent while parenting her own child who suddenly graduates from high school and goes to college. Dealing with doctors of the parent, the lonely silence of home, the questions...

I assume the protagonist in the book is a thinly veiled Sonya. Except of course, Sonya would only be 30 years old.

Some of hold our denial near and dear to our hearts, you know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this was the PERFECT book! It's definitely written in a unique style, but that seems to have given it even more impact.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for being on the tour!

Kristi said...

Sounds hilarious - thanks for the review - adding it to my TBR list!

Sonya said...

Hey Nancy,

I'm sorry I scared you!

Thanks so much for the charming and funny review. I'm delighted that you liked my book!

xx,
Sonya